What tools and techniques can I employ?
Catch tally locations
What pests are still there?
Plant, Bird, and insect health indicators
How to Suppress pests to eradicate:
1. Choose an area that can become a defendable zone using a perimeter line
which includes naturally defendable landscape features such as waterways,
ridges, peninsulas, islands, pa, etc
2. Establish a walkable line around your chosen area which will become the
defence line of reinvasion of the defendable zone. Also establish a network of
lines within the zone accounting for animal tracks, food sources, and dwelling
3. Determine a range of traps and other tools for the range of pests you are
4. Set out lines with chosen tools at smart and regular intervals
5. Experiment with different lures, and luring systems, to draw out and capture
6. Maintain the lines regularly to suppress pests
7. Monitor success and make adjustments
8. Strengthen the defence line to address reinvasion
9. Monitor and target the low density populations of pests within your area to
The Pekapeka (Bat) navigates and flies by sonar and has a mouthful of sharp little teeth which it uses to great effect.
These inbuilt tools and technology give these important little ngahere pollinators strength and accuracy in the work they do in the ngahere and tai ao.
Pekapeka Bay in Whangaroa Harbor indicates the special place Pekapeka has in this area reminding us of the need for tools and technology in our restoration work.